Author Topic: PSA: Official names.  (Read 773 times)

celebi

PSA: Official names.
« on: September 29, 2015 (06:47 PM) »
Just because Bandai or Toei somewhere, sometime, writes a Digimon's namein English letters, does not make that name official.

This is a new craze plaguing the fandom, mainly driven by Wikimon.

Why not?

1. Half the time they don't make any sense whatsoever. (Picklemon)
2. Half the time they're not even consistent and change the English spelling from day to day.
3. They're intended to look cool for a Japanese audience - the same audience that blithely wears t-shirts like "jogress BEARS" and thinks it means "HAVE A NICE DAY" - not to promulgate an official spelling.

Thanks,
Celebi
plaudite amici

Voidmon

Re: PSA: Official names.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015 (12:15 PM) »
It is all a matter of using the terms you prefer.
Toei/Bandai often releases an "official" translated name in our language and it is not uncommon for these names to either contain a glaring corruption/mistranslation or be just plain nonsensical, so it is not a wonder some fans have the habit of the either correcting or flat out ignoring these names exist. I can't blame them, sometimes the names are so bad for my standards I just refuse to use them, regardless of how official they may be.
But mind you, I don't think all of these official translated names suck. Both the original and the western names have their share of bad and good names and I'm very selective regarding what terms I use for certain Digimon. Most of the time I use the original japanese ones, but there are cases where I prefer to go with the translated ones, there is not a pattern for that in my book and it is all a matter of personal taste.
For instance, I prefer to use Scorpiomon instead of Anomalocarimon because I think the later is a mouthful even though I know it would be the most correct one, but at the same time I refuse to acknowledge the atrocious SlushAngemon unless I'm poking fun of this kind of translation. Sometimes I even use both an original and a translated name in the same sentence because, again, there is not a pattern for that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015 (12:24 PM) by Voidmon »

celebi

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015 (03:10 PM) »
It is all a matter of using the terms you prefer.
Toei/Bandai often releases an "official" translated name in our language and it is not uncommon for these names to either contain a glaring corruption/mistranslation or be just plain nonsensical, so it is not a wonder some fans have the habit of the either correcting or flat out ignoring these names exist.

It's really a mistake to say they are 'released'. Neither Bandai or Toei have any intention of 'releasing' anything. They're not trying to say "here's what the name is in English." They're not trying to produce a canonical spelling. That's why it changes from product to product and site to site. Bantyo Leomon one day, Bancho Leomon the next, and just for fun, Bantyo Liomon on the third day. They're just putting something there to look cool. In Japan, if something has the Roman alphabet somewhere on it, it's cool.

It never enters into their darkest dreams that American fans are using these spellings as a guide.

I can't blame them, sometimes the names are so bad for my standards I just refuse to use them, regardless of how official they may be.

Which is my point, they're not really official at all.

But mind you, I don't think all of these official translated names suck. Both the original and the western names have their share of bad and good names and I'm very selective regarding what terms I use for certain Digimon. Most of the time I use the original japanese ones, but there are cases where I prefer to go with the translated ones, there is not a pattern for that in my book and it is all a matter of personal taste.
For instance, I prefer to use Scorpiomon instead of Anomalocarimon because I think the later is a mouthful even though I know it would be the most correct one, but at the same time I refuse to acknowledge the atrocious SlushAngemon unless I'm poking fun of this kind of translation. Sometimes I even use both an original and a translated name in the same sentence because, again, there is not a pattern for that.

Now I'm kind of puzzled if we mean dub versus original, or """official""" vs translated. :)

For nearly ten years, nobody in the entire fandom gave a second thought to how Bandai of Japan or Toei Animation spelled a Digimon's name. Nobody. It's a really (relatively) new and recent phenomenon for us to care at all, driven mostly by a few Wikimon staff members based on the Digimon Reference Book. It's kind of funny watching them dance back and forth when the Japanese write a name different ways, like the Huckmon/Hackmon absurdity; it never was anything but Hackmon, but people on Wikimon decided based on nothing other than a misspelling that he was based on Huckleberry Finn and even though the Japanese later spelled it Hackmon again that silliness is now perpetuated forever.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015 (03:13 PM) by ★Shining Celebi★ »
plaudite amici

Voidmon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015 (05:29 PM) »
I was under the assumption that every time the Digimon Dictionary translates a name it was the "official" spelling for western fans. Glad to know it isn't then because "Huck"mon is terrible. But still, when I said that I tend to often jump the fence between the japanese and translated names it was true.