Author Topic: So, like, what is everyone doing in life now?  (Read 4648 times)

Enaz

Re: So, like, what is everyone doing in life now?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018 (08:35 AM) »
Awesome! Good luck with the exam and with the possible job opportunity.

What are you getting the master's in?

Clinical Mental Health Counseling. :)

That's great! Go you!  ^.^

SbrWulf

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018 (10:28 PM) »
So I go back to being a normal civilian in 6 months, and I have no idea what I want to go back into school for x.x

Digimon_Sommelier

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018 (01:53 PM) »
Writing a multi-hundred-page fantasy epic until 2019. Wish me luck.
My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Athena

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019 (09:17 PM) »
For some reason this forum name popped into my head and I decided to spend my Saturday night posting here. Hi again, everyone. To all of you who finished your schooling, many congratulations.

I don't even remember the last time I posted, so here's the abridged version of the past six years or so:

When I joined this forum, I was living in MN and pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy. Somewhere during first year, I realized it wasn't a good fit and had an inkling that medicine was the right career. Around 2012 or so, I started to shadow a few physicians, which confirmed that yes, it was a better fit. After disappearing from the face of TDD, I wound up leaving the PT program (it was not a rash decision and a lot of factors went into it, including a hospitalization that resulted in an extended absence from the program) and starting the pre-med journey almost from scratch. I applied once in 2013 and was unsuccessful (waitlisted at one place and never got off), so I retook the MCAT, took a bunch of higher-level molecular bio courses, worked at a public health clinic in Nicaragua, worked as a medical scribe, and dabbled in public speaking (not necessarily in order). The second time I applied, I received eight interview invites and ultimately matriculated into medical school.

Fast forward to today-- I currently live in VA. I'm more or less content with med school. Being a physician is a much better fit, and although the few gunners have soured the experience and a family member recently had a cancer scare (negative), I'm much happier. Although I started out interested in OB/GYN, my interests have shifted toward dermatology. At the risk of sounding like a gunner myself, I have the grades for derm, but definitely need a couple of research publications to be considered competitive.

Anyway just checking in... I wish you all the best and am glad that many of you already seem to be in a good place. :)

celebi

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019 (04:55 AM) »
For some reason this forum name popped into my head and I decided to spend my Saturday night posting here. Hi again, everyone. To all of you who finished your schooling, many congratulations.

I don't even remember the last time I posted, so here's the abridged version of the past six years or so:

When I joined this forum, I was living in MN and pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy. Somewhere during first year, I realized it wasn't a good fit and had an inkling that medicine was the right career. Around 2012 or so, I started to shadow a few physicians, which confirmed that yes, it was a better fit. After disappearing from the face of TDD, I wound up leaving the PT program (it was not a rash decision and a lot of factors went into it, including a hospitalization that resulted in an extended absence from the program) and starting the pre-med journey almost from scratch. I applied once in 2013 and was unsuccessful (waitlisted at one place and never got off), so I retook the MCAT, took a bunch of higher-level molecular bio courses, worked at a public health clinic in Nicaragua, worked as a medical scribe, and dabbled in public speaking (not necessarily in order). The second time I applied, I received eight interview invites and ultimately matriculated into medical school.

Fast forward to today-- I currently live in VA. I'm more or less content with med school. Being a physician is a much better fit, and although the few gunners have soured the experience and a family member recently had a cancer scare (negative), I'm much happier. Although I started out interested in OB/GYN, my interests have shifted toward dermatology. At the risk of sounding like a gunner myself, I have the grades for derm, but definitely need a couple of research publications to be considered competitive.

Anyway just checking in... I wish you all the best and am glad that many of you already seem to be in a good place. :)

Does this mean you have some good advice for my probable rotator cuff injury that's because harassing me for months and stopping progress on my bench? (OHP fine tho)
plaudite amici

Myo470

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019 (07:13 PM) »
So, never updated after my last update. I got the job that I was hopeful for in May and have been working at it since July for my new company. I am a counselor in the system of corrections and so I see inmates on a day to day basis. It has been pretty interesting so far which is good for me because I get bored with things easily and this definitely keeps me on my toes. Am currently also undergoing supervision (we need two years of supervised work hours meeting with a supervisor weekly) towards having a license so that's something too.
Put your hair in curls, paint you up just like a drag queen~

Digimon_Sommelier

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019 (02:50 PM) »
Planning like crazy. But I'm up for it. ^.^
My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .