Author Topic: The Summer Thread [Version 1]  (Read 209 times)

Digimon_Sommelier

The Summer Thread [Version 1]
« on: June 17, 2018 (08:55 PM) »
Q: What are you doing this summer? Got any travel plans?
My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

jagggar

Re: The Summer Thread [Version 1]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018 (11:34 AM) »
I am apparently going to be learning how to take care of a diabetic cat.
in the basement rollin' dice, i'm a wizard
when we play we do it right, candles flicker
fighting dragons in my mind, just for kicks
DM says, 'you're gunna die, roll a d6'

Shino

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018 (02:25 PM) »
good luck with that Jaggger, my friend had a diabetic cat once, not their fondest memories.

My summer is kinda over in that work is starting up again this month and well I'm kinda broke so that's not conducive to the actual doing of things.

Digimon_Sommelier

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018 (02:48 PM) »
Jagggar = cool. ^.^
My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

jagggar

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018 (06:09 AM) »
Jk, mourning diabetic cat.

Boy got home Saturday morning to Bear seizing. Took 40 minutes before we could take him to a vet because all he has is a motorcycle. Dropped $340+ on getting him stabilized, then took him to our regular vet to confirm he had to be monitored 24/7 and couldn't make it on the intermittent checks our vet does. Blue Pearl (24/7 ER vet) was out of the question since they quoted us a price of $600-$1200 per night.

My vet's great though. Gave us some flush and basic outline of what we'd need to do at home. And what's more, Dr. Jane, our primary vet at the clinic was at the other end of the phone when I had something to ask. Offered to take him Sunday morning and watch him which meant I could sleep and go to work. Managed to call in, but I had to drive down just to return the keys I had forgotten to take out of my pocket in a rush. Gave me a chance to grab a pizza and an oral syringe.

...so, the dextrose drip, sugar water, he wanted to get up and around after being on it a bit so we switched to bolus, which is every so often doing a bunch and then taking him off the IV. He kept bumping the needle and bending it and eventually it broke. Did the next bolus manually, 3cc at a time, pulling it from the bag and injecting it in the catheter (which is the name of the IV that goes in you, apparently). I got him to swallow some watered down canned food by force. But so angry. Panicked. Growly.

Monday morning, we grabbed some breakfast and went to the clinic. It was super busy,  so we waited a while before heading in the back and seeing him. Brushed him out a little. The fur on his chest was matted. Had a ton of dandruff. And when she got some free time, we learned that if he was there, it was going to take a lot of high intensity care for a long time, probably six months, before we could determine how much of our baby was left. We talked about it. Cuddled him. Cried.

When we brought Bear home Saturday afternoon, Shinx hissed at him. Pretty sure he already knew what it took humans $340+ and 48 hours to determine.

Bear hadn't purred since we found him.

Got him some pink juice. Went and had some food and alcohol, th en went home and finally got some sleep.
in the basement rollin' dice, i'm a wizard
when we play we do it right, candles flicker
fighting dragons in my mind, just for kicks
DM says, 'you're gunna die, roll a d6'

Kaizie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018 (09:16 AM) »
Bear was such a good, sweet boy. 

Come find me other places, since I'm almost never here
thedarkenedelf.tumblr.com
facebook.com/justcoscosplay
patreon.com/thedarkenedelf