Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut  (Read 3222 times)

Matrix ∞

• Global Moderator
  • In-Training
  • Tip Jar: 0
  • But first they must catch you.
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut
« on: June 27, 2012 (10:15 PM) »
This thread is bound to be rife with spoilers, and as such I feel no obligation to tag them. Read at your own risk.

For those who've played it, what did you think? I was satisfied with it after going with the destruction ending. It provided the "victory at great cost" that I was expecting when first going into the game, and concluded my Shepard's story in a way that I felt was fitting to her. I didn't quite agree with all the themes presented at the end, but at least this time I felt like they got across with a sense of closure instead of coming out of nowhere. And they got me to think, which I can't say for a lot of blockbuster games.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand Enemies.
And whenever they catch you, they will kill you.

Maki, Commander Blade

• Fresh
  • Tip Jar: 5
  • SWINE FLU, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012 (07:14 AM) »
I think that they're pretty solid, decent endings. Nothing extraordinary, but none of them are terrible either. I think they're a good way to wrap up the series, and that if they had done the endings like that from the start, we wouldn't have had such a world wide shitstorm about the ending. Mass Effect didn't need an incredible ending, just a decent one, the rest of the story was already extraordinary. But the ending ruined it, it was like eating a bowl of the world's most delicious soup, only to suddenly find out there's a turd hidden in the bottom. Kinda' ruins the whole experience...

Makes me wonder why they wouldn't end them like this in the first place. I personally blame Mac Walters, can't really figure out how they allowed the writer of the most reviled of ME2's DLC to not only become the lead writer for ME3. But also to keep the ending under wraps until production started.

I've already advised everyone I know who hadn't played it yet to not even bother finishing the game without the extended cut. Because... let's be honest, it's just not worth it.

As for what I feel about the specific endings:

Destruction is kinda' the bummer ending for me. A sort of bitter sweet finale, and probably the kind of feeling the authors were shooting for with the original endings. It wasn't bad, but personally, I was playing a paragon, so I couldn't stomach the thought of commiting genocide on all synthetics just so I'd maybe get to live at the end.

Control is... awesomeness on a stick. Basically. It's kind of sinister and ominous in a way,but yet gives you the feeling that Shepard has transcended his humanity without forgetting about it. It gives you this mixed feeling of seeing him ascended into a god like figure that's very much above human emotion and yet very well aware of it.

Synthesis is the happy ending, and really. I don't care for the space magic in it, BUT on the other hand, the images combined with EDI's monologue make it so uplifting and feel good that I'm willing to look past the whole "that's not how DNA works, space child" thing.

As for the space kid? Great move in changing most of his dialog, he no longer sounds like some author avatar that forces three incredibly lame choices down your throat. But rather he sounds as what he was supposed to be in the first place, an AI with potentially flawed reasoning.

Finally:

(This one I bother to mark because it wasn't part of the original 3 endings.)

[spoiler]

The fourth option, shooting the space child in the face and/or rejecting his choices entirely is also a pretty interesting one to watch, even if it's far more brief than I would have liked.

It'd have been nice to see some cinematics of the war carrying on or at least more dialog on Liara about Shepard's choice and what happened afterwards.[/spoiler]
Xenu is now back to being Maki...
PH34R MY PHOTOSHOP L337 SK1LL5 :S

Matrix ∞

• Global Moderator
  • In-Training
  • Tip Jar: 0
  • But first they must catch you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012 (09:11 PM) »
Agree about the fourth ending. I was glad it was in there, but it felt almost as empty as the original three.

I honestly found control and synthesis to be the most morally reprehensible. Control was incredibly sinister and I didn't trust the whole "transcending organic form" bit. Seemed more likely to me that, over time, the power would corrupt Shepard. Even if it didn't, keeping the Reapers alive like that was too much of a gamble for me. Although the idea behind synthesis was nice, I didn't feel like I had the right to make that decision for every species and totally wipe out the galaxy's sense of diversity, which was stated numerous times as one of the reasons the current cycle stood a chance of winning. Destruction was the only way to eliminate the threat of the Reapers and leave the galaxy to progress on our own terms. Killing the synthetics absolutely sucked, especially after that final good-bye with EDI, but I had been willing to sacrifice Earth itself if it meant saving everyone else. It was less about letting Shepard live and more about letting the galaxy continue without the Reapers' influence (beyond what was already done, obviously).

I get the feeling that these discussions are what Walters and Hudson wanted the original endings to spark, which is part of why I'm so satisfied with the extended cut. Would I have taken a different direction if Mass Effect's end were up to me? Absolutely. But I'm okay with what we have now because it was able to deliver their vision in a decent, non-WTF way.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012 (09:13 PM) by Matrix ∞ »
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand Enemies.
And whenever they catch you, they will kill you.

Maki, Commander Blade

• Fresh
  • Tip Jar: 5
  • SWINE FLU, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012 (11:16 PM) »
Yeah, as I said, we probably wouldn't have had such a complete shitstorm about the endings if they'd just make them like THIS in the first place.

I can't for the life of me figure out how they thought the original ones were at all appropriate.
Xenu is now back to being Maki...
PH34R MY PHOTOSHOP L337 SK1LL5 :S