Author Topic: Rewatching Adventure  (Read 13658 times)

jagggar

• Ultimate
  • Tip Jar: 22
  • Not today.
    • View Profile
Rewatching Adventure
« on: February 21, 2013 (04:12 PM) »
Got the first set of the DVDs for Christmas. Slightly ashamed that only now am I getting around to watching them. (Kinda waiting for our drunken watching party.)

And we're also showing it to my 2 year old not-a-nephew. So far it seems like Agumon is his favorite... because it's the only one he's really got the name down on so far.

First time he saw Kuwagamon, he called him a dragon. I've discovered Digimon is kind of slow. Not DBZ slow, but if you're trying to keep a 2 year old's attention with awesome monster battles, it's not quite battley enough to catch his attention all the time.

I totally managed to sleep through most of Izzy's episode. I have noticed Izzy's blaming aliens a lot.
in the basement rollin' dice, i'm a wizard
when we play we do it right, candles flicker
fighting dragons in my mind, just for kicks
DM says, 'you're gunna die, roll a d6'

Myo470

• Ultimate
  • Tip Jar: 14
  • No, I will not find your Myobrella
    • View Profile
Re: Rewatching Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013 (04:36 PM) »
I just recently rewatched and finished the whole series as well. Something I noticed now that I never did before that bothered me was the fact that they didn't even seem to care about their Digimon until about halfway through the series. It was always "Go home!" "We'll do this and go home!" and that was their only care. It kind of bothered me that they didn't have any real intimacy with their Digimon until way late in the series at least in my opinion.

I also put to test the prompt for the drinking game as I went mostly on the basis of how many terrible puns and how many times someone actually gets a reaction back... It's still a vast number and I think that it shall kill someone to be honest. It's quite vicious. Everyone would have to be taking like... Wine shots or something.  8D  ... Cooking wine shots...
Put your hair in curls, paint you up just like a drag queen~

Lilitha Deviant

• DLC Chairwoman
  • Fresh
  • Tip Jar: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013 (11:29 PM) »
Ah. Adventure. :D

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw Digimon Adventure Vol. 1 for sale at Wal-Mart...and randomly so (for that day, I really had no reason to be back in Electronics, but I almost never pass up a scouting mission through my favorite section of Wally World). After buying it, I watched it a couple of days later marathon style and realized why it was Adventure that sucked me away from the There-is-nothing-more-awesome-than-Poke'mon mindset I had been in for so long.

Sure, it's the dub for some, but for me, it is all I know, and it got the job done. The kids had great chemistry, great individual stories, and the jokes weren't that bad. The digimon themselves weren't badly balanced either....though for some reason I have always felt that they were a bit one dimensional. Just a bit. All and all, it has been great nostalgia, and I am certain that my nephew will enjoy it when he is a bit older. (He seems to be more entertained by Darkwing Duck than anything else I have shown him...currently.)

Can't wait for Vol. 2 in March. (No, I did not buy the complete season version since I impulsively bought at Wal-Mart. I was afraid that if I didn't buy it....I'd just miss the opportunity later.)

I just recently rewatched and finished the whole series as well. Something I noticed now that I never did before that bothered me was the fact that they didn't even seem to care about their Digimon until about halfway through the series. It was always "Go home!" "We'll do this and go home!" and that was their only care. It kind of bothered me that they didn't have any real intimacy with their Digimon until way late in the series at least in my opinion.

I also put to test the prompt for the drinking game as I went mostly on the basis of how many terrible puns and how many times someone actually gets a reaction back... It's still a vast number and I think that it shall kill someone to be honest. It's quite vicious. Everyone would have to be taking like... Wine shots or something.  8D  ... Cooking wine shots...

On the kids caring for their digimon:
I kind of agree, but then when you think about the situation of being tossed into a world far from home against your will with monsters the size of buildings or larger (or smaller) trying to kill you (or starve you in Piximon's case), the complaints about wanting to go home are a little justified. It'd be weirder had they NOT complained. Now, if they had had a legitimate reason to despise their home planet---in other words being unhappy/unsettled at home to the point of intolerance---and we were made to believe not wanting to go home was justified, then that would be different.

I actually thought that the kids caring in the first episode was a bit forced, but that's just me. After that, things kind of went back and forth.

And as for the intimacy coming later, I think that that was meant to be intentional with character development---you know, the Crests and such. I am sure that there is a discussion to be found somewhere in that.

As for the drinking game, it's lucky that I don't like alcohol outside of a Smirnoff/ Wine Cooler. XP Of course, I would probably be drinking Sparkling Red Grape Juice Cocktail anyway. (I suppose I would then have to worry about a sugar high and diabetes versus a hangover.)

LadyV

• Rookie
  • Tip Jar: 5
  • Andrew Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013 (10:19 PM) »
I scored a good deal on a blackberry playbook for Vanessa for her birthday and loaded it up with the full first season, Adventure. She loves it and we have been playing Digimon Rumble Arena 2. Her favourite characters for the kids are Tai and Mimi. And she likes Gatomon because she turns into an angel. Etemon is "big and stupid" and was happy when MetalGreymon kicked Etemons ass.

I've officially passed the fan torch to Vanessa and she is hugely enjoying all my figurines and games. It's cool to watch. She's looking forward to finishing Adventure and moving on to season 2, then 3 and so on.

Myo470

• Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013 (08:38 PM) »
Whenever I rewatched it again a couple months ago, I just all up wanted to skip the Etemon episodes because he's soooooo annoying but I powered through. He's just... Just why? I enjoy the Myotismon ark and afterwards whenever things start to become a bit more mature. I mean, Piedmon is just... -shudders- While I was watching my roommate was like "... Why is this presented as a children's cartoon?!?!?!"  because of Piedmon chasing the kids, trying to impail them, and practically all up almost molesting TK. :P

LadyV

• Rookie
  • Tip Jar: 5
  • Andrew Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013 (08:39 PM) »
I just want to post something not sad so I'll bump this topic.

Vanessa watched the North American Digimon movie yesterday. Wow, it was "MUM MUM MUM LOOK LOOK LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!111!!!" the entire time. Quite entertaining. I don't think I've seen her so excited for a TV show before. The most exciting part had to be when MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon DNA digivolved. The second most exciting was when Angemon warp digivolved. The screeching and excited noises ensued. The second season of Digimon was then DEMANDED to be put on her Playbook. I should have video recorded it, it would have taken everyone back to when they were kids and watching this for the first time. I was too old to be excited like that when watching any Digimon but it was neat to kind of experience it through her. She has noticed that no one at school knows about Digimon, it's too bad.

After the movie was watched I was made to go outside and play Digimon with her, no joke. I was forced to be Etemon and Myotismon (the bad guys) while she got to be Agumon who digivolved all the way to Omnimon and subsequently kicked my ass.  8D

Myo470

• Ultimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013 (01:12 PM) »
That's so sweet. :) I remember how excited I was the first time I saw Digimon the Movie as well. I had gotten the VHS for I think my birthday and I remember the first time I put it on and the animation was so much better and seeing the kids a little bit older and Omnimon it was just one of the most exciting things ever.  lol  I remember as kids, my cousin and I would always act out the Piedmon episodes because of how creepy and vividly... Intense? They were.

Also, I hope she enjoys 02, because I've realized that now that I'm older... I sure don't. I tried to rewatch it just a week or so ago and got up to the Blackwargreymon ark before I was like "... This is all bullshit." It's debatedly the most lazily made dub I've ever seen. They usually give the dub names for Digimon in the visual descriptions and instead I see all undubbed names and just... Ugh! I also... The plot holes... Geewghewgwehg. It pales in the comparison to the splendor of Adventure. The emperor ark is pretty much the only likeable thing.

Dark-Paladin-Duelist

• Fresh
  • The Forseen Destroyer of Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013 (03:03 AM) »
I've said this since I made an attempt to watch the subbed version of Zero Two a year or two ago. Didn't manage to get much further than the Emperor arc.

After how well they did Adventure, and Zero Two's Emperor Arc, I do wonder what happened behind the scenes. There were rumors going around that the writing team changed after that, and that was the reason the season feels kinda different after the Emperor Arc ends. I wish the newer kids had been fleshed out even a little more as characters, since I always felt Miyako and Iori were lacking. Takeru and Hikari's experience with the Digital World needed to come up some more as well.

Digimon_Sommelier

• Champion
  • Tip Jar: -3
  • Love, the natural state of the universe . . .
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Burst::. Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013 (04:41 PM) »
I don't plan on re-watching Adventure. The first time around (Fox Kids days, fun! Nothing like it, except the rival show's firstround of seasons on Kids WB every Saturday) was magical enough and when I attempt to watch the first introductory episodes of Digimon: Digital Monsters (the dub name I swear by even in twenty-thirteen) from YouTube I get all emotional and teary-eyed. There's this huge bond that I have with the DIGIMON program as a longtime viewer and fan. Maybe one day I'll get the box set of the first season (in fact I think I will eventually), but for now I'll just enjoy the memories in retrospect.

And for the sake of corny lines, yes: to this day DIGIMON yet still "are the champions!"
My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Lilitha Deviant

• DLC Chairwoman
  • Fresh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013 (03:55 PM) »
My mother bought Vol. 2 for me the other day, and I watched it marathon style. Needless to say, the experience was fun and nostalgic. :D

Vademon looks so different to me now that it is funny. The whole time watching "No Questions, Please" my mind attempted to wrap itself around the concept of black lip stick, tentacles, and....Vademon's unusual personality... to say the least about it. Then the whole random space full of asteroids and planets was just kind of a weird concept to me. It's funny how differently we think at an older age. When I was a kid, I just thought that everything was awesome. XDD (Not that it isn't. I just don't think that way now... Heh)

Also, Nanimon's "soda". Real niffty that they called it "soda". What was it called outside of the dub?

And, of course, loved the Myotismon ark. I never considered it dark as a kid, but I definitely do now. The whole hour of the beast thing is blah, but all of the potential death and then the deaths that did occur were pretty scary. Watching all of Adventure now as an adult has been very refreshing. It's nice to not only see something that we loved as a child but to see have different we are from those days when we first watched the show.

It's nice to be nostalgic every once in a while.

legolas10154

• Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013 (12:05 AM) »
Got the first set of the DVDs for Christmas. Slightly ashamed that only now am I getting around to watching them. (Kinda waiting for our drunken watching party.)

And we're also showing it to my 2 year old not-a-nephew. So far it seems like Agumon is his favorite... because it's the only one he's really got the name down on so far.

First time he saw Kuwagamon, he called him a dragon. I've discovered Digimon is kind of slow. Not DBZ slow, but if you're trying to keep a 2 year old's attention with awesome monster battles, it's not quite battley enough to catch his attention all the time.

I totally managed to sleep through most of Izzy's episode. I have noticed Izzy's blaming aliens a lot.

Where did you get the DVDs?

jagggar

• Ultimate
  • Not today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013 (12:53 AM) »
My boyfriend ordered it off Amazon.

I'm currently trying to decide if I should go for buying the rest of Adventure in the separate sets, or buy the Complete Season and just have repeats.

Enaz

• Retired
  • Champion
  • Master of Ridiculous Ceremonies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013 (01:49 AM) »
Just looking at Amazon's current prices,

$38.99 for box set,
$10.99 for Vol 1,
$12.96 for Vol. 2,
and $12.99 for Vol 3 (Pre-order.)

Which makes it $36.94 to order all three volumes separately. Huh. That's actually cheaper than the box, although volume 3 won't be out until next month. I'm surprised.

I'm not sure what special features the box set comes with (a booklet, apparently?) but I'm skeptical that it's anything of value. Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm not expecting anything more of value than just having some clean, barebones episode releases, which is still more than we've ever gotten in the past. Since you already have the first set, I'd definitely just get the 2 and 3.

jagggar

• Ultimate
  • Not today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013 (01:59 AM) »
Well, the main thing that's making me ponder getting the single box set is that it'll probably be an extra thick DVD case which will *probably* take up less room than 3 normal DVD cases. That way they can all stay together in one box and I've got less stuff to keep track off.

Enaz

• Retired
  • Champion
  • Master of Ridiculous Ceremonies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013 (02:29 AM) »
Ah, I get that. I love it when I can get a bunch of DVDs stuffed into one, slightly-thicker-than-usual DVD case. I bought two seasons of Rurouni Kenshin for super cheap on eBay once, and since they're just a bunch of single-disc releases, they take up about half a book shelf. e__e

DVD box compared to plushies.

Set review with details on the interior of the case

So, save money and put up with multiple cases, or get the single box and figure out something to do with the one you already have. For $13, it's probably not going to severely break the bank either way.